This chutney is very easy and simple to make and stays good when kept in air tight container for around 10-15 days if refrigerated.If we are in winter season it will stay good for 20 days also.This chutney will be perfect while travelling and is very handy also.My mom use to prepare this frequently and we use to have this as a side dish for idly,dosa,adai,chapathi/roti and what else do we need.If we keep it clean without adding even a drop of water then I can guarantee it will stay good for minimum 10days in fridge.My sil and my friends were asking me for a long time to share this recipe,so thought of posting this recipe.Though this sounds easy,simple and even silly for some people but this will be really useful for many of us.
Color of this chutney depends on the red chillie powder and the tamarind we are using.Generally in the initial stages I use to add little less spicy and tangy and then while sautéing use to increase them.So the color of the pics will be different in the beginning and end so don’t go with the color of the chutney.Just go by the taste.I feel this chutney is the perfect combo for idly and adai and with these too tiffin varieties it tastes great .
|Jaggery||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Tamarind||Small lemon size|
|Salt||1 3/4 tsp|
|Red chillie powder||1 1/4 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||1/4 tsp|
1. In a vessel stack all the ingredients together like we do for a dum biriyani(i.e little onion,jaggery,tamarind ,red chillie powder,salt and then again one more same layer). and rest it for around 1.30 hrs.
2. Grind the entire things in a blender and in a wok do the seasoning and saute the onion chutney nicely till the chutney splutters and then chutney gets cooked.
3.Serve as a side dish for any tiffins.I served with adai.
1. Adjust the spice level according to the taste.
2. Store in a air tight container and use dry spoon for taking out.
3. Before storing in the container wash and dry the container and even a drop of water will spoil the chutney.
4. I used powdered sugar and can be adjusted to our taste.
5. Incase using onions available in US need not follow the given measurement of the onions,as the onions available here are too big than what we get in India.
6. I used 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp .