Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mullangi Pulav | Daikon Pulav | Radish Pulav | Easy one pot meal


Mullangi pulav

 

      Mullangi pulav or mullangi sadam what ever we call is the one of yummiest rice recipes in vegetarian recipes and moreover a vegan option too,that  I have ever tasted till now.I got the recipe from a cookery book which came as a attachement with a magazine and tried and got a big thumps up Thumbs up from my entire family i.e from my mom,aunt,sis,cousin and sil after they tried hearing from me.What else I need apart from this .That too from my dad.I need to say about my dad,he won’t praise or  say a dish too be good unless the dish is super  good.When he himself told that the rice in really good and can have frequently I was really happy and don’t have words to tell about it Party smile.My hubby who use to run a mile if I say radish as he hate the smell and because of it till now only once I have done radish sambar coz I wanted to have.But this time when I prepared this rice and gave he had silently without telling anything.I was surprised and rather confused why he’s not telling any thing.The same day night he was asking me, again when you will prepare this rice as I want it frequently.I was shocked and surprised Surprised smile and can’t believe myself.A person who hates radish to the core is asking me do it again.OMG that much tasty was the rice.

     So I’m damn sure who ever hates radish definitely they will love this rice a lot.This is a fail proof recipe I can say.This is one among easy recipes for rice and would recommend this strongly and the best way of having radish too.So now onwards I think making the kids and even adults to have radish is very easy and one more one pot meals and a easy lunch box recipe too.

 

Ingredients :

Cooked rice 1 1/4 cup 1 bunch
Grated mullangi or radish or mooli 1 cup
Onion 1 no chopped
Tomato 1 big sized chopped
Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/8 tsp
Mint leaves 5-10 nos
Coriander leaves 1 fist
Salt Req

Grind To Paste :

Cinnamon 1" piece
Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Green chillies 3 nos

Seasoning :

Oil 1tbsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp

 

Method :

1. In a wok do the seasoning and add the chopped onions,ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds.

saute onion

2. Now add the chopped tomato,required salt and fry only few seconds and not mushy.

add chopped tomato

3. Now add the turmeric powder and the ground paste and sauté.

ground paste

4. Its time to add the grated radish and sauté well and allow to boil nicely till raw smell leaves.For me it took 15-20mins and need not add any water as the onion,tomato and of course radish also use to leave water.

grated radish

5. Now add the chopped mint leaves and fry.I use dried mint leaves(for that see the notes).

mint leaves

6. Now finally add the cooked rice and give a quick stir.If interested can add chopped coriander leaves at this stage.

cooked rice

7. Tasty,yummy and delicious radish pulav is ready.Serve hot with any kind of raita.

serve with raita

 

Notes :

1. After grating radish don’t squeeze and remove the water as the entire thing has to be cooked in the water which radish leaves.

2. Using fresh radish is recommended.

3. Very very important to cook till the raw smell of radish leaves.

4. Adjust the quantity of items given under to grind column according to taste.But shouldn’t be less than the given measurements.

5. Don’t fry the onion and tomato till too mushy.

6. Since I get mint leaves only when I go to indian stores,I use to wash the fresh mint leaves,pat dry on a kitchen towel and then microwave for few min’s till its dried.Then will store in a zip lock cover and will use when ever required.So this way whenever I want I can use mint leaves and no way of mint leaves getting wasted if not used in few days of buying.

7. Quantity of cooked rice may vary.So after adding one cup,if further required add 1/4 cup or can just skip off.

8. Adding ghee gives a nice flavor to the rice and also helpful for remove the raw smell of radish.

 

22 comments:

Chitra said...

Must try. Hope the masala helps to remove the radish smell :) Thnx for sharing !

Unknown said...

interesting pulav:)super it looks delicious and will try this one:)

anjana said...

Never tried making pulao with raddish..interesting recipe.

Vimitha Durai said...

Flavorful and healthy pulao

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum and flavorful

Priya Suresh said...

Never tried my hands in making radish pulao,sounds awesome,have to make some soon.

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Never tried rice with raddish...very interesting...Looks good

Hamaree Rasoi said...

must be elated to hear good feedback from your Dad :-) Delicious indeed

FewMinute Wonders said...

Have not experimented with radish apart from making sambar or paratha. Looks interesting.

Ms.Chitchat said...

New to me, loved the idea. Bookmarked. Nice illustrative clicks.

Prema said...

New to me,unique recipe...will try:)

divya said...

wow..delicious and tempting .lovely clicks too...

Unknown said...

that is a simple and great recipe. I have never tried mullangi in rice before.

Julie said...

haven't tried raddish this way,looks yummy!!
Participate & win e gift vouchers (worth Rs 1000& Rs 500)in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Chinese"

Medley of Many Things said...

Ahh, I had no clue that Pulao can be made with Radish. You know, not many recipes can be made with veggie like Radish, but good to know there is one other way!!
Pulao looks absolutely yummy, next time I buy radish, I'm going to try this Pulao.

Nava K said...

The combination of ingredients are fabulous and yes to this complete one meal. Saves my time and great for a weekend.

Vineetha Sush said...

A unique and tempting pulav...looks delicious..

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...

Never tried a pulav with radish...looks very appetizing!

Regards,
Manju
http://manjuseatingdelights.blogspot.com/

Beena said...

new to me looks delicious. first time your blog am following u .glad if u will follow me back.

Unknown said...

New to ur space...love the recipes..bookmarking the recipe...
Www.cookndine.blogspot.in

Priya Anandakumar said...

Very nice and very good collection of recipes. Thanks for visiting my blog and following me. I am very happy to follow you..

Akila said...

Very lovely pulao...
Event: Dish name starts with R till April 15th and a giveaway