After a hectic weeks of shifting,shopping and arranging things finally now only I am able to relax and got the time for blogging and posting the recipe. This Vegetable kurma recipe I tried out in thalassery style which my friend shared with me and I would like to thank my friend who passed on this recipe as the veg kurma was so tasty my hubby liked it most.The secret here is he liked the kurma to have with rice rather then to have with roti/chapathi.That’s while even taking the photos I clicked with rice.Though I’m not a very big fan of kerala recipes,I liked this one a lot.
|Onion||1 big sized|
|Red chillie powder||1 tsp|
|Dhania powder||2 tsp|
|Garam masala||1/2 tsp|
|Gingergarlic paste||1/2 tsp|
To Grind :
|Grated coconut||1/4 cup|
|Cuming seeds||1/2 tsp|
1. In a cooker pour the oil and do the seasoning.Then add the onion,ginger garlic paste.Crush cinnamon,cardamom and cloves with mortar and pestle and add along with the onions.Fry till the onions turns translucent and the raw smell of the g.g paste leaves.
2.Now add the tomatoe’s and fry till the tomato turns mushy.
3. Now add the dry powders and sauté till the oil separates.
4. Its time to pour the ground paste and give a few stir so that ground paste mixes well and the raw smell leaves.
5. Now add the chopped veggies and mix well.Finally add required water and salt.Close the lid and leave around 3 whistles.
6. After opening the lid of the cooker check for the water,salt and red chillie powder.If interested can garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot roti/chapathi.But if u do bit more tangy and spicy can even have with rice.
1.Adding ghee along with oil helps the oil to separate nicely and thus we can sauté till we are able to see the oil and this is very helpful too.
2. Add tomato according to the tangy taste.
3. I used beetroot ,along with carrot,peas,potato and hence got the above color.If wish you can change the veggies as per the preference and also can skip beetroot.
4. Since I’m using frozen coconut all the gravies will have the oil floating look on the top.If your are using fresh coconut you wont get the look so nothing be panic seeing the above photos.
5.Try using mortar and pestle is highly recommended and the powder crushed in the mortar and pestle gives a nice flavor.So do not use blender.